Tuesday, August 21, 2007

decency and sense







Hillites,

The Tigers have apparently been under heavy pressure to switch Sunday’s game against Souths from Leichhardt Oval to the Olympic Stadium.
The pressure has come from Souths, the NRL, and even the jokers who purportedly run the Olympic Stadium, as they reckon 40,000 thousand punters would turn up if they knew they could get in.
But, thankfully, the Tigers club has had the decency and sense to say “bugger that!”
I was there the day of the Leichhardt ground record was set at 22,877 in the Premiership year 2005 – also against Souths – Tigers won 42-20.
Admittedly, it was cosy; they closed the gates about 40 minutes before kick off, and they were pulling people out of trees and off the roof of the old blokes toilet block, and the noise and atmosphere was simply incredible.
At the time, the club CEO admitted “with that many people in, not everyone had a positive experience”.
But as far as I’m concerned, why should Balmain give up their home ground advantage –they are a two-try better team at Leichhardt – just for the sake of a few miserable Rabbitoh’s fans?
Tickets went on sale a week earlier than usual, and knowing it would be a sell out, I for one did the right thing and bowled up at the Balmain Leagues club the day they went on sale and handed over my cash for a pair of reserved concourse tickets.
So why should I have to go to the Olympic Stadium when I have paid my hard earned to see my favourite team at my favourite ground?
I’d be suing the NRL for false advertising if I had to.

No comments: